Monday, July 19, 2010

Fun Fact of the Day 7/18

Well, I'm spending the next extended week next to a lake, so it seems only appropriate that I share a fun fact about a little known freshwater animal that I find quite remarkable: Himantura chaophraya, the Giant Freshwater Stingray. I first read about this particular fish last summer, and I was blown away by just how immense it was. Look at the picture! Isn't that amazing? They're found in sandy river environments across Southeast Asia, particularly in the deltas of the Mekong, Bongpakong, Tachin, Tapi, Nan, and Chao Phraya rivers. It feeds on other benthic, or bottom dwelling animals, including fish and invertebrates. These animals are remarkably elusive, and their conservation status is frighteningly uncertain. Females give live birth to one baby at a time, so their reproductive cycle is remarkably slow. In short, these stingrays are quite fascinating, and I hope more is learned about them in the future, so future fun facts can fill in some detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment