Saturday, July 17, 2010

Bass Lake

Well, I'm currently in Bass Lake, CA, for a family reunion of sorts. My uncle (step-uncle if you want to be technical, but I consider him as close as an uncle) and aunt own a lake house up here, and so I'm privileged enough to enjoy swimming, boating, and excessively rough and violent inner tubing every July. It's alot of fun, and I also get to see my cousins and extended on my dad's side every summer as well. Bass lake is man-made, a former pasture now kept submerged by a large dam at one end, so the lake is not exactly a pristine part of nature, but it does have it's natural advantages. Both Osprey (Pandion haliaetus) and a pair of Bald Eagles (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) inhabit the woods around the lake, and I've seen them swoop down after fish in the water on numerous occasions. Also present around the area are raccoons, Great egrets, Great blue herons, Canada geese, Mallards, and several species of fish (including the lake's namesake, bass). Additionally, the lake is also situated only about half an hour outside Yosemite National Park's west entrance, so it's neato for day hikes into the valley as well. All in all, I'm glad to be up here, and I'm looking forward to a pleasant week.

Not to worry though, I still will be posting fun facts daily ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment