Friday, August 6, 2010

Happy Shark Week!!!

Ok, so I'm here at SNARL, many many miles from the ocean or even a man-made swimming pool. But, while it is nice here (despite the dreariness that it maintains in the afternoon), I am a bit distressed to be missing one of my favorite weeks of the entire year: Shark Week, courtesy of the Discovery Channel. Sharks have always been my favorite animals, and having a week of shows dedicated to them is something I absolutely love. But, unfortunately, there is no t.v. here for me to view these spectacular animals all week, so I'm afraid I'll have to catch up on the 15th when I come home. But, I do wish to give you some shark tips for Shark Week:
  • First off, while I adore Shark Week, I do wish for you to pay attention to some of the programming carefully. You see, the one downside to this week is that many of the programs are devoted entirely to shark attacks, rather than to a more balanced and realistic picture of the animals portrayed. Sometimes shows focus on bloody, scary attacks with lots of music and flashy reenactments, but it is important to remember that for every shark attack, almost no people have ever been eaten by a shark. Indeed, most attacks are the result of exploratory or defensive bites, delivered with power the shark can't control. Even a quick nip can be powerful enough to open arteries and kill a person, when the shark really isn't attempting to eat the person at all. And even with fatalities, remember you are more likely to: be killed by a pig, be killed by a toilet, be killed by falling airplane parts, get struck by lightning, or be killed by sand than killed by a shark. So, for all the splendor of shark week, don't let the sensationalism get to your head: sharks prefer to leave us alone, and we do far more damage to them than they ever do to us.
  • Try to learn from these shows as much as you can, because sharks are one of the most fascinating groups of animals on earth and they deserve your attention
  • Record the shows. For me.
  • Tell me how it was when I get back!
  • If you have any shark questions, email me. Seriously, my roommate leaves SNARL tomorrow, so I'll be alone and very lonely up here all next week. Shark emails would be something to do (If you want to, just ask for my email in the comments).
So yeah, despite my absence, I wish to impart upon you, my readers, a love of sharks and an enthusiasm for Shark Week '10. Now run to your couch and begin watching! It's already been several days!

Additionally, my computer does not have working internet here, it's having some connection issues. I'm on a communal-use laptop. So, posts may still happen, but I don't know about daily, my apologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment